Monday, January 9, 2017

How our Batteries can keep you not only #PoweredUp, but connected too...

Welcome to 2017! We are happy to have you here with us and hope to keep you entertained for another year with our Blog on how to #StayPoweredUp!

So our first topic for the New Year is:


How to increase your internet reliability with your wireless router when the powers out?


My house has horrible wifi.  For some reason, my Apple Airport extreme has a hard time getting wifi signal into the next room even if it's just 25 feet away.  So I have no choice but to run hard Ethernet across my home, to my garage and to other Base stations so I can stay connected.  This would normally do the trick, but not in my case. As I had to run the cables around the outside of my house, around corner, and over the roof of my house, they were exposed to extreme weather and...squirrels!  

So when my cable got severed again for the umpteenth time, I decided to look for another solution..

After some research, I purchased the Netgear Orbi. This is a Mesh network that promises true internet speeds all over your house. I was skeptical at first but this router really works!  I could not believe the speed I was getting! Not to mention strong signal all over the house, even where I'd normally be gasping for Wifi.

Problem solved....  But in true #MikegyverStyle, I wanted an even better solution. So I thought: "Now that I am no longer tied to wires, why not make my wifi work even if I have a power failure!"

I am sure you can already see my shameless product plug coming :-), but it so happens that our batteries make a great Battery back up for your router when out of power. And let's not forget; because this is pure DC Power backup (UPS) it'll last longer on battery then traditional UPS's!


This picture shows our Mikegyver "Executive 34.2ah" battery, being used as a backup to our Netgear Orbi routers in our garage. How cool is that!?

If you are interested in finding out how it's done or you have any other innovative ideas around this concept, please comment below or email us!

Stay Powered Up,

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment